Posted from WordPress for Android
Updates from June, 2013 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
social networks are publicizing personal emotions and creating a kind of vacuum that literally is sucking everything you have got and showing to to public. and worse, you are appreciating this fact.
already we have got huge information overload. not sure where facebook will lead us. in India, Orkut was actively used in 2005-08..facebook killed it. Now who will kill +facebook in what way remains to be seen.
I met a group of people and we had to discuss on open source. I began as usual – Stop using proprietary Windows. Stop stealing software. Embrace Linux, it helps you (after that I told them several examples of how commercial companies are benefiting from open source technologies. All the case studies and examples were stolen from net and distro sites)In that interaction, I rediscovered some facts –
1. In this social media age, no one cares for the tool but for the work. It dosent make a difference whether a software is free or not; as long as it dosent cost a penny. The end result matters, not the way how you do it.
2. Piracy isent openly encouraged, but its the least thing cared about.
3. Commercial Linux distro owners need to have a higher marketing budget then the funds needed to develop the core software. To make this thing works, a community based, unstable software having latest versions is given out free. Tweakers use it and report the bugs, fix things, enhance it and pass it back. This stable software is then inducted into stable desktop and sold as a commercial product. Red Hat has been doing it since 2003 and perheps this is what makes Red Hat to top linux distro list.
4. People like to use GNU/Linux on servers but they are reluctant to pay a price for getting a software. However, they do spend on training users.
5. Some distros like Ubuntu are absolutely hell bent on mimicking Windows way of functionality and seriously, its the first instance in 7 years where I have seen a Linux distro crawling on desktop, and well, crashing it..!! Their latest version is hopeless..!
At the end.
Open Source is very good sounding concept but a newcomer finds it extremely hard to earn something real fast as compared to those using non open source. You need to have a sure backup plan if Open Source based concept back fires.
Preaching of the theorotical Open Source concepts like – Free Software, Libre, Open ness etc is all crap, people start yawning after hearing this nonsense for more then 3 minutes. And this is what the Open Source Evangelists do..and make sure people run away from it as far as possible ! People have got real FUD in using open source software, we cant cant claim all FUD’s are artificial or unreal.
But all is not bad. I would recommend that every newcomer who wants to develop apps in GNU/Linux or wants to work as a network administrator should start using Red Hat software (FC and CentOS). This is true for Indian public, at other places, YMMV. The other prominent players in commercial Linux market are – Suse and Ubuntu. Try this once you feel Red Hat is letting you down.
The title of this post is somewhat wrong, but I couldent find one better.
Economics is a very facinating mix of theorotical science and practical art of managing money. Apart from spelling the word economics right, theres very little contribution to world economics from my side..
Few days ago, one interesting bill was attached to our common notepad – It was the milkman bill..Out of utter curiosity, I looked at it and was staggered..!! It read that I had to pay almost 1000/- to the milk man, and the service charges were extra. Service charges in this case was the salary given to the milk delivering boy and some supply chain management costs..
I just calculated – The milkman gets approx 1000 rupees from my house. He delivers milk to adjoining 50 homes. On an average, a family needs 1 litre of milk everyday, and in Pune, the well known brand costs around 32 rupees a litre. So, in all, it works about 30×32 = Rs 960/- per home. Multiply it with 50 families, and the monthly income of the milkman is – 960×50 = 48000..!! The milkman automatically gets a decent discount from the milk supplier since he purchases them in bulk. The other cost is that of the milkboy who delivers those bags early in the morning..I am not sure how much salary he will fetch, lets assume he gets 2500/- pm. Most of the time that boy needs to invest 2 hours per morning and then continue study or any other activity. That leaves Mr Milkman the amount of almost 47000/- pm. Add to it there is no known and official service tax on doing this.Wow..aint that awesome? Add to it that our milkman does work in a bank apart from delivering milk, so this salary is extra to him…
I read in papers that many freshers in engineering arent getting jobs and even if they land on one, they have to work as a trainee for well over 1.5 years till they start getting the standard salary. Add to it the cutting edge training costs these engineers invest in.
From the facts based above, I can safely say that I want to be a Milkman…instead of slogging in front of the computer writing cryptic and buggy software, its better I start something like this..!! Till few years ago, milk delivery man was just another poor mans job..today its turned to be a number one earning service with comparative less stress etc. Of course, even this field might have its own unknown risks, losses, and all that stuff, but did anyone ever look at the strange economy behind the scene??
I dont know..
PS – All figures are indicative, your milage may vary. I am an ignorant and untrained economist, so please forgive me if I make mistakes.. 😉
Thats the 2009 Force India F1 racing car that has done many Indian fans proud when Giancarlo Fisichella secured 8 points in the 2009 Belgian GP. I dreamed of this day since 2008 ever since Vijay Mallya brought the former Jordan-Midland team from Spyker.
A great moment back here for all fans in India. Vijay Mallya rocks. He’s a true passionate businessman who knows how to pull out things…great going. Best of Luck to everyone at Force India F1 team.
8th Sept 2009.
PS – This post was written hurridly in a moment of ecstacy and happiness where I praised Vijay Mallya, FI and F1, just like every other Indian F1 fan. But the moment I came to know about the dirty politics of Mallya(trying to get F1 a tax free entry in India) and transfer of Fisichella to Ferrari, I denounce all the praise I posted for them. Please refer my twitter account – http://twitter.com/hj91 for more details. The only reason I havent wiped out this post is to show that the best of best thinkers, fans and learned people do wrong things without thinking too much..! – Harshad Joshi
Yesterday, our forfathers fought against the evil british empire..
Today..we have to fight against the evil corrupted system that they have left behind..
The battle isent over…
Happy Independence Day, India..
Everything is justified.
However, India is more prone to any kind of epidemics because of the inherent unclean habits the common people have.
Add to it the careless attitude of people who actually are supposed to work on complex issues. The recent epidemic wouldent have had been so grave if the airport authorities would have done a more strict check of the people coming from abroad..what did they do? Just filled up a form saying that we are safe..some infected blokes slipped in the city, mixed with people and today, after 10 lives gone, we are wondering from where did it all start..!!
And one more thing..
This swine flue isent a joke anymore we sit and analyse it esp the punekar way..
Some families have lost their children, working men. This loss cant be justified. At this point of time, we all should support them. We need to realize the gravity of this issue.
Lets not take it like ‘just-another-thing’
Ignorance is a deadly sin, and we are paying for it.
Some things that came in this light
1. Where is Sharad Pawar, the head of National Disaster Management Committee which was set in Mumbai 2005 floods? I think the old guy needs to divert his attention from ICC to India. People are dying, food is becoming expensive and this guy..what is he doing??
2. Where is Suresh Kalmadi? This man is invisible since the Deepak Mankar incident, and even during the swine flu epidemic, he hasent come across to punekars? Is this what we have elected him for?
3. Is this a plot of a foreign power to disrupt the Indian software industry??
4. The CM of MH is a MBA, he is supposed to have knowledge of how to manage things..but he missed it completely. Confused, Ignorant and Pathetic.. Asshok Chavan should sit in his house …
5. Dont get out of home for at least 4 days.
Thats the first preview of India Force Linux Desktop. Stay Tuned…
6 years ago, I had my first ever tryst with Linux. One step towards the goal. Coming here was a task I dont want to remember. Still, I will reach to the top.
Here comes Agneya. The first release from India Force Linux.
A dream, a dream, a dream I had
The world, a theater
The stage, our lives
The actors, ourselves
Our dreams, our plays
Our audience, our souls
Alas, at last, the courtain’s closed
Aplause for dreams
Applause for peace
Applause for us.
Busiest day:1,607 — Monday, March 3, 2008
Isent it enough for someone unknown like me?? Maybe Amitabh Bacchans weekly stats might be this much, but then… 😉
PS – I am not bitten by love bug. If you believe in love, forward it to your near dear ones and even if you dont believe in it, still forward this to your near dear ones..Then find out if there’s truth into it. On a personal note, I wonder, is something called as love so precious that people write about it?? Initially, the title made me think that it was a Red Bull tagline hehehehehe Whatever..;)
Whoa, after getting life threat mails from media mafias, this post is deleted..
The Maharashtra Government headed by Congressman Vilasrao Deshmukh and his ministers have okayed live in relationship..Live in relationship means people of opposite sex can have a relation without legal binding like marriage..
Live in relationship might be common or acceptable in western countries, but by watching numerous Hindi films, thsi is what I have a concept of what might be called a bollywood lifestyle.
1. Both, the girl and boy live in a seperate house, no parents to pester or poke their nose in their affairs..
2. They can have sex anytime, in any way, and usually the girl dosent want to get pregnant, but unfortunately, she does become pregnant..
3. Horrified, the guy leaves her and the poor girl, in tears, determines to raise the child..She cares a damm about others..
4. Finally, a good common friend of the guy and gurl playes the role of Guardian Angel and decides to bring them togather..which is difficult..
5. However, Mr Angel succeeds in bringing them togather, and everyones happy…
Hmm, this is perheps a little bit of a Bollywood Hindi film starring Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta. I found this film undoubtedly the most ridiculous thing i had ever seen, except of couple of Preity-Saif kisses(Wanted to see something more, Censor Board in India is dangerously strict..). But is this what the government wants in Maharashtra??
Actually, there are many people supporting age old marriage style and live in relations..
I am single and I have got no gurl friend, I will oppose it. If I had my girlfriend with me, I would have strongly welcomed it. I know, its double crossing, but this is what is life all about..India is widely known as a country with strong moral values and traditional integrity. Perhaps, that’s why bold exhibitions of romance go for a toss in such a typical society, least being something like live-in-relationships in India. The union of a man and a woman is considered as one of the most sacred acts in this country. No wonder, living together before marriage is a sour dampener for the staunch ethic upholders. However, the new millennium has ushered in great changes even within the country that has forever been enshrouded in a blanket of rich culture and heritage.
To be continued…
Navratri begins from today..Wishing everyone a happy and safe Navratri..
Navratri stands for ‘Nine nights’ where people worship Goddess Adi Maya for nine days..
rhapsodysinger and aqua gurl are discussing. Toggle Comments
Breaking News – Sunday 30 Nov 2008 12:15 pm
After an eventful 3 days of Mumbai attacks, the bastard Sivraj Patil has finally decided to resign form the post of Union Home Minister.
Son of a bitch..!!
Update on 28/11/2008
1. NSG commondos has surrounded Nariman House.
2, The Oberoi and Taj skirmish still continues, a blast is reported..
3. USA sends a team of FBI officials to Mumbai, I dont know what will they do in here..
4. Narendra Modi announces a 1 crore compensation to each of the killed in the attack..
Update on 27 November 2008
Mumbai is being attacked by pakistani militants. India *is* at war..Are we getting it, India *is* at war..!!!
We lost Hemant Karkare, Vijay Salaskar, and numerous others… 😦
Shivraj Patil, you dork, why dont you just resign and sit at home telling stories of pre independence era to your grand children..maybe they will believe you are a Man…Terrorists are bombing places at their will, and your crap headed crab, you are sitting in a hi security office delivering bloody quotes..You incompetent nuthead, go away from the post of Union Home Minister, it is a prestigious and responsible ministry once held by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, hailed as the Iron Man of India. Shivraj Patil, dont forget, Sardar Patel was also of Congress, but one thing he had was courage. Courage isent a word, anyone could use it. You need to be a Man, understand it right. You need to be a Man to know exactly what courage means. The other day you were quoted as saying ‘I am not panicking even if terrorists attack’, isent it?? You burly brained nonsense, had the terrorists targetted your family members you would have realized who panicks and who dosent.
Let me tell you – The common Indian isent intimated by any kind of terror attack. We are used to every difficulty in life, every challenge, and every terse situation. But why should people like you get to be there, where you are right now..?? Crap head, just walk the streets of any Indian city unarmed, no security with you then you might get some sense in your brainless skull…
Shivraj Patil, you dork, you are an incompetant politico. Get a life…Get away from the Union Home Minisstry Office. You have already spoilt the prestige of that post, dont detoriate it further…
In a talk given to NDTV, this is what the minister has to say..
“I will resign only when the Congress president Sonia Gandhi tells me to go.”
wow, look at the height of shamelessness…So, according to Mr Shivraj Patil, Sonia Gandhi is the new God. And he will obey his God only…I am speechless…
We need that The law proposed by Narendra Modi, the GUJCOC should be implemented throughout India to battle terrorism. Add to it the POTA. Then I think no terrorist will dare to attack India
BSNL has planned to launch 3G in Pune, Maharashtra. BSNL is the state owned public limited company. Its the biggest POTS provider and it also provides cellular, wll and internet services. BSNL has planned to invest Rs 300 crore and initially, it will serve about 2000 BSNL customers. Later, in end 2008, they will expand it once the GOI finalizes the 3G deal. To use 3G, you will need to pay 725 per month..
Q. What is 3G ?
Ans. 3G is the third generation of mobile phone standards and technology, after 2G. It is based on the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) family of standards under the International Mobile Telecommunications programme, “IMT-2000“. 3G technologies enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment.
Unlike IEEE 802.11 networks, 3G networks are wide area cellular telephone networks which evolved to incorporate high-speed internet access and video telephony. IEEE 802.11 networks are short range, high-bandwidth networks primarily developed for data.
The most significant feature of 3G mobile technology is that it supports greater numbers of voice and data customers — especially in urban areas — and higher data rates at lower incremental cost than 2G.
By using the radio spectrum in bands identified, which is provided by the UTI for Third Generation IMT-2000 mobile services, it subsequently licensed to operators. 3G uses .6 MHz channel carrier width to deliver significantly higher data rates and increased capacity compared to 2G networks.
The .5 MHz channel carrier provides optimum use of radio resources for operators who have been granted large, contiguous blocks of spectrum. On the other hand, it also helps to reduce the cost to 3G networks while being capable of providing extremely high-speed data transmission to users.
It also allows the transmission of 384 kbit/s for mobile systems and 2 Mb/s for stationary systems. 3G users are expected to have greater capacity and better spectrum efficiency, which allows them to access global roaming between different 3G networks.
Although 3G was successfully introduced to users in Europe, Asia, South America (Uruguay) and Africa, some issues are debated by 3G providers and users:
- Expensive input fees for the 3G service licenses
- Numerous differences in the licensing terms
- Large amount of debt currently sustained by many telecommunication companies, which makes it a challenge to build the necessary infrastructure for 3G
- Lack of member state support for financially troubled operators
- Expense of 3G phones
- Lack of buy-in by 2G mobile users for the new 3G wireless services
- Lack of coverage, because it is still a new service
- High prices of 3G mobile services in some countries, including Internet access (see flat rate)
- Current lack of user need for 3G voice and data services in a hand-held device
- BSNL is not known to provide anything called as QoS. Infact, not a single telco or ISP in India ever promises to deliver services on minimum QoS. Even most of the consumers dont bother about QoS. Why this carelessness, I dunno..Astonishing to know that 3G can have upto 2Mbps top speed. BSNL actually provides 2 MB as an elite internet service and that too at a premium price, and they dont gurantee that the upload/download sped will be consistant. Call any of their technical teams, they have got an answer – The server through which you ar uploading might be having some problems..Gosh, I am experimenting on their unlimited plan, and all I can get is a paltry 30 kbps download under good conditions…Are they taking me on a ride? Is this what they call broadband??
- Right now, BSNL is promising video calling on 3G. The catch is that many existing customers dont have access to full fledged 3G devices. Also, people having BSNL mobil will be able to make video calls only to those having bsnl as mobil service provider, as no other service provider has got 3G capabilities of now. So, its only bsnl here..Remember those olden days when the BSNL phone used to be dead for major part of day, do we get to see this in case of 3G as well??
- Why didnt BSNL go in for Apple iPhone 3G when they were actually having resources to provide 3G? Its a waste of money and time for those who have purchased it through Airtel or Vodafone…
One things good that we are actually getting some premium services in India, however, as a consumer, we need to demand QoS from all service providers, whether its the ISP, telco or even the government that we elect..(or others elect..)
Last two weeks were of great hustle bustle for Indian sports. Abhinav Bindra won the first individual gold medal in 10 m shooting event for independent India, later Shushil Kumar, a Najafgarh lad fetched a bronze in freestyle wrestling, the last one was in 1952 Helsinki Olympics, and on the same day, Bhiwani based boxer, Vijender Kumar ensured a sure bronze in boxing, 75 kg catagory. So far, this has been the best sports performance by Indian in any major sport event, the other mentionable achievements being winning the 1983 ICC World Cup under Kapil Dev, and the 2007 Twenty-20 world cup win under Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s captaincy. Some people said that Abhinav won gold because he had enough resources to get out of the under facilitated Indian sports system, we thought, perheps this is the way winners are created. But Sushil Kumar, a person whose father is a MTNL driver, managed to win a bronze in wrestling. True, shooting and wrestling cannot be compared, but I cant help thinking, is the system so bad that you need to be a multi millionaire to win a gold for country? If that was the case, then Sushil Kumar might never had a chance..
A lesson is lurking in there for budding sportsmen out there
1. If you are like Abhinav Bindra,a super rich having truck load of money, resources and passion to make it to the top, dont worry for a damm ‘system’ or anything related, just do what you feel will take you to the top.
2. If you are like Sushil Kumar, or Vijender Kumar, maybe you have to rely on government provided facilities, even though one may say the govt lacks the latest technology and infrastructure, still, thats your best hope and best choice. The government is too slow to do things, but once in a while, it does produce winners.
3. Olympic events are great, but thats not the ultimate goal. take for example, a sport like Formula 1 acing is at par with any sports event, I think its the most expensive sport ever known to mankind, we should excel in that too..Dr Vijay Mallya, the head honcho of Formula Force India has got enough money to make a good car..leave that it wont beat Ferrari in near future, but still…their ad shows Shahrukh Khan saying – ‘I want to compete with the best’, Good luck mate.. 😉
Yesterday, on 22 August, Vodafone and Airtel launched Apple iPhone ‘officially’ in India. Originally, the iPhone sported a tag of $499 and $799, many Indians thought they might lay their hands on the hyped beauty, however, things soon turned the other way, the iPhone is avaiilable @ a cool 31000/- and 36000/- which is approx $900 in terms of US dollors, isent it too high?? Add to it, 3G is not present in India, the TRAI, the DoT are still a distance from striking the deal with 3G providers, nothings finalized..then why do I need to buy a pretty expensive wifi device? I could go in for Netgear or cisco routers, they allow great wifi features..No doubt Apple iPhone got not so great response in the Indian market. Mr Steve Jobs, dont take Indians for granted, they will pay you more if you give them what they need, but no chance if you provide half baked products at an exotic price.
The Apple iPhone has got several limitations.
1. You cannot forward an sms.
2. No bluetooth present. Apple tries to fill this gap, expecting that wifi will overtake bluetooth devices, but then they will have to wait for some time.
3. A 2 MP camera, no flash, no video. No takers for this one.
Now, about me..
Well, me had pretty ordinary week, barring a few lectures by people, everything was the same as usual. Trying hard to overcome the rage, and I think I will be successful in doing it. 🙂
amit singh is discussing. Toggle Comments
Don’t chat about things that could enable a stranger to locate you. That includes your last name, the name of your school or workplace, the city you live in, and where you hang out.
Protect your info. Don’t put identifiable information in your user profile, including photos. What’s uploaded to the Internet can be downloaded and shared by everyone. Avoid posting photos that allow people to identify you, especially sexually suggestive images. Before uploading a photo, think about how you’d feel if it were seen by a parent, friend, or future employer.
Never meet with someone you encounter in a chat room unless you already know who they are.
The best way to avoid problems, is to avoid them.
Look around, you will get to see people who are perfect, they just dont seem to have any kind of conflicts, or any issues, they get well with any situation, any kind of people, they appear so natural, so flawles, sometimes we call them as happy go lucky, but sadely,the moment we try to act like them, we are in deep deep trouble..Heaven sake dont try to copy someone because it appears attractive or seems so perfect and so right for them. Once you are in a problem, dont crib over you getting caught in there when someone else was deserving it, just accept the fact that you werent smart enough to get out of it.
Last week, an errant rave party convict started screaming at me explaining that the rave party was good, he was innocent, and things like that..Actually, I didnt bother anything, but I realized, that he, along with his physiotherapist sister were facing problems, just like I described above. For them, rave party wasent the problem. The problem was, they found their names in the list of convicted people I had put up almost year ago..I imply said- If all that you are fgetting problamatic over seeing your name, the best solution was not to attend the party where you knew drugs were distributed freely…Maybe thats was their fasination, who cares?? That called me a moral brigadeer, a moral police(Hey, what does it mean?), he also called me a Talibani (rofl)..
Anyway, all I can say is – ‘Dont ever get into trouble, and if at all you do, just accept it as fate.’
The Telecom regulator in India, TRAI on Monday allowed ISPs to offer unrestricted internet telephony services, a move that will further boost competition in the domestic long distance segment and lower STD tariffs.
“It is envisaged that customers will ultimately benefit from cost effective and innovative internet telephony service.
These recommendations will put Indian telecom sector in tune with global trends. The grey market tendencies shall be curtailed,” TRAI said in a statement.
As per the TRAI recommendations, the STD service providers would be connected to ISPs through public internet for the purpose and the two service providers would have mutual agreement for the same.
The move will permit calls from personal computers to fixed line and mobile phones. Currently, a voice call can travel between two computers but not from a mobile or a fixed phone. This is expected to open huge channels of revenues for Internet Service Providers (ISPs).
The Telecom Engineering Centre (TEC), a technical arm of Department of Telecom, will work out the number plan for the ISPs to enable them to offer telephone services.
“Telephone numbers from identified blocks shall be allocated to ISPs, Unified Access Service Providers, BasicService Providers and Cellular Mobile Service Providers for internet telephony,” TRAI said.
With a view to make internet telephony secure, TRAI said, all ISPs interested to provide unrestricted internet telephony would install “Lawful Interception” equipments. Usually, that would mean that the government or law enforcement agencies will be able to monitor anyone, good to prevent terrorist conversations, but potentially seen as a invasion on privacy..Further, voice grade communication requires strict QoS control and it also needs good broadband penetration among people..Given the policy of calling 256 kbps as broadband in India, I doubt whether there will be real mass appeal to this scheme. Lets see..
The Beijing Olympics 2008 ceremony has kicked off and officially, for next 20 days, we are going to see an exciting series of old records broken, new records being set. Top leaders from almost 80 countries are visiting Beijing for this extravaganza. Here’s a joke thats being passed here in India.
Dubya, the George Bush Jr, who is enjoying his few days as American President, is visiting China as a guest at the Beijing Olympics ceremony, where he is supposed to deliver a small speech.
He’s handed over a speech letter by his secretary. Dubya goes through it, and begins…
The secretary says ‘ Sir, plese turn the page, thats not ‘O’. Thats the official Olympic logo. Your speech’s on the next page..’
Some people stick to fame in their lifetime, some, like the teenager Arushi Talwar become famous after being killed..Who made Arushi Talwar’s death famous? – The Media. The news media in India needs to be seriously monitored for the senselessness they have been showing on TV. First they portray someone as a murderer, a dacoit, a criminal, without investigating in deep and then after the real story is out, they start portraying the same person as a saint, a holy man who was caught in crime..! Whoa, isent that great?
I dont know who killed Arushi, I dont even care about what Dr Talwar was, I dont even bother about who Hemraj was,but as a viewer, I am fed up with the news channels that show crap and complete nonsense on the TV.Heck, why should I subscribe to channels that continuously show irrelevant content as a part of their main program? Hey, now it sucks, news channels have becoming a sort of reality time pass show, where they can make a news out of anything, virtually anything. The real criminals in the Arushi Talwar murdar case were the news channels, the media, and the idiot investigation agencies, the police who didnt know how to react in this situation. Suddenly, everyone involved in there wanted to become famous, even if that fame would last for 15 seconds..Why people are hell bent on becoming famous?? Perhaps Madhur Bhandarkar should make a new film named – Fame or News Channel. Hot topics for a controversial film.
But one question remains unanswered – Who is the real villian in Arushi Talwar case? My bet is on the over eager news channelsaka news mongrels. They are the main villians.
Update on 10 September 2008
The CBI has failed to file a chargesheet against any person and offered a prize worth Rs 10000/- to the one who tells who killed Arushi talwar…According to me, the system killed Arushi, the media killed Arushi, now throw me the money 😉
- S: (n) dilemma, quandary (state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options)
I have discovered a new ego bruising experience. If you are a single individual, and having lot of virtual girl friends on social networking tools like Orkut, then you might have noticed that whenever the girls status changes to ‘commited’ there is something, a sort of silent tiing that goes across the mind..It isent exactly pain or unhappiness, its something mix of surprise, shock, bruised ego and just like that…
No actual reason why this happens, but fair enough, so many times I have preached to people – Digital Social Networks esp Orkut are a fun, playway mirror of our daily lives, but the real problem arises when we start relating those tools with our real life and begin attaching our emotions and expectations to our virtual meetings. A timepass turns trouble for some. Should Orkut/Facebook/Myspace be avoided? Or is it the beginning of a new age desperation? Boy…this things tough to comprehend…Web 2.0 has binded people togather on a common platform but no ones ever thinking of the trouble that is following us..Wake up…Welcome to the new age dilemma.
There are some marvellous concepts in Vedanta that reduce the spiritual quest into essential principles. Among them are the twin concepts of Preya and Shreya.
What are these? Apart from the fact that they are delightfully rhymed (notice how Sanskrit specialises in related concepts that rhyme? Yogi-bhogi, tan-man, smriti-shruti, one could go on!), they are connected, for they illustrate the vital importance of fusing our desires into one single-pointed direction.
Preya stands for what is pleasant: a holiday in Goa, channa bhaturas and gulab jamuns, driving a Mercedes Benz, designer clothes and shades, a blazing love affair, etc. Shreya, unassuming and circumspect, stands for what is beneficial to us: eating healthy, maintaining an exercise regimen, staying within one’s income, maintaining fidelity in marriage, doing one’s duty. All the world will agree, especially today, that Preya is the hip swinging chick, while Shreya, let’s face it, is the dowdy one. Boring, for heavens sake.
Little wonder then that most of us beat a path to Preya’s door, while Shreya’s threshold is definitely the road less taken, indeed almost never taken.
All through our lives, we chase the objects that promise us happiness, like money, love, good times, fame, power, success, etc. But the paradox, as Vedanta says, is that we never really get happiness. Why? Because we look for it in the wrong place. Outside, not inside. Preya seduces us through our senses and we gallop after all that it flourishes, horse racing, cigarette smoking, Formula One races, and what not. But no sooner do we get there than the promised happiness either dissolves or is seen to not exist.
In the Katha Upanishad, the body is likened to the chariot, the five senses to the horses, the intellect to the charioteer, the mind to the reins, and the Self to the rider inside the chariot. As long as the intellect and the mind do not do their duty by reining in and controlling the senses, the horses will run amok, charging after whatever attracts them without discrimination or restraint. And what happens? The rider never gets to the place he wants to go: peace of mind, happiness, health, even enlightenment.
Shreya, on the other hand, can seem like a dull piece of goods when first we make our acquaintance with her dull —and exacting—like a stern school marm, but as we get to know her better we will have to admit that she really has our interest at heart. You are on a diet, she will remind us, just as we are about to lift a grilled cheese sandwich to our mouth, and if we can make ourselves replace it with a vegetable sandwich instead, we will savour the sweet sense of a victory over the senses. Or we may be itching to watch TV and she will remind us of the vegetables to be peeled or the ironing to be done. Or her small still voice stalls us when we contemplate a temptation at work that requires us to bend the rules just a little in order to make a fortune.
Most of us pay obeisance to both Preya and Shreya for we are awfully torn between them. Instead of fusing all our energies into one direction, we fritter them by being pulled into two opposite directions. We long to stay slim, fit and healthy, but no sooner do we see a mutton biryani or hariyali kabab than our goal forgotten and we chomp right into them. We regret it later, but that simply adds to the problem because now we have guilt to contend with as well, which also sends us headlong into Preya.
We long for success but instead of gritting our teeth and working our heads off, we apple polish the boss and bitch about our colleagues. We vow not to gossip or bitch about others but no sooner do we catch hold of a juicy morsel, than we hasten to spread it among our buddies. Life is a long and wearisome struggle to get out of the hold of Preya and towards Shreya.
For we will never get what we want as long as we do the opposite.
The Katha Upanishad tells us that Preya and Shreya stand for the two choices that we have to make at any given time. Consciously or unconsciously, we choose either Preya or Shreya. And the two go in opposite directions.
One towards lasting happiness and fulfillment, the other towards temporary satisfaction and permanent regret. At the end of our lives, we will be able to gauge which of the two has been our guide and inspiration by examining where we stand. Are we happy, energised, buoyant and radiant? Clearly, Shreya has been our mentor. Are we tired, ill, impoverished and unfulfilled? Oh dear, we have been too enamoured of Preya.
So how do we get out of the hold of Preya and move towards Shreya?
Ramakrishna Paramahansa put it in sublimely simple words. If you want to go East, don’t go West. If you want to lose weight, don’t eat fattening food. If you want to be fit, don’t give up your exercise. If you want to finish your project, stop chatting with your colleagues and checking the mail.
If you want to get enlightened, stop chasing good times. All we have to do to obey Shreya is not to obey Preya. Refuse to betray your friends or your own values. Refuse to chase money, fame or power at the cost of values or principles. Refuse to indulge the senses.
And lo, your task is done. Preya soon wilts away into a gossamer shade, and Shreya waxes strong and beautiful. With Shreya at our side, the battle of life is eventually won, for she teaches us to put the long term over the short term, the principle over expedience, the right over the tempting.
By staying faithful to Shreya we win the sweetest and most sought after fruits of life, from success to happiness to enlightenment.
Simple words, they are effective in preventing a lot of day-to-day troubles we have most of times, including a bad-relationship, a bad office day, a bad fight…everything like that…
For those who found Preya and Shreya a wee bit simple or complex, this is for you.
At present, a whole lot of holistic therapies are applied to heal acute and chronic depression. Besides prescription drugs, healing methods such as naturopathy, energy balancing, and yogic techniques are extensively and effectively utilized all over the world. Adopting a positive lifestyle helps you develop a healthy mind-body frame to avoid depression. For those believing in medical solution, a dose of Fluxotine will do wonders.
Slambook….after so many years, I remember this…I never got a chance to be in someones slambook, but it was something very hot in my school days. Usually, it was as self decorated book having different sections like we have on Orkut, except that we had to manually fill it in our own handwriting. Bad handwriting wasent allowed and the system was ultra secret. It was meant to be an exclusive girl-to-girl communication system. Boys werent allowed nearby, but I confess that I had once stolen a slambook out of pure curiosity, just to get details of what happens in there. It was luck, but peeping in someones property is equivalent of stealing…Later I meekly returned that book, the girl was shocked..!! She said – ‘Did you read this??’ I said – ‘No, why should I?’ I lied, I know, but I read everything, everything that was supposed to be a secret away from most of boys reach.
Some interesting stuff I remember was
1. The address and phone number – Every girl jotted down her phone number and postal address. In those days cellular phones were non existant and pagers were ultra cool. It was of no great use to me, I did not have a landline number, and the line I used for speaking would be heavily monitored. Besides, I was too lazy to move around on a cranky bicycle hunting for the girls address.
2. Likes – It was default that a girl likes ice cream and black forest. For a long time, I didnt know what black forest meant until someone fed me a delicious combination of chocolate, cake, coffee, ice cream, then I realized its a yummy thing…and since then, its my favourite till date.
3. Favourite colour – Insignificant detail, but pink was common..We dont have this on Orkut 😛
4. Favourite film – Most of them mentioned Hollywood stuff. I wasent permitted to see any Hollywood film(officially) till I became 18. Unofficially, I watched many Hollywood movies, and my parents dont know that 😉 Never knew why girls liked Tom Cruise. I liked his mission impossible 2 movie, because I was facinated by the bikes in it, not the heroine.
5. Every girl tried to decorate her slam content as good as possible. (I recall, my drawing belonged to the genre of Mr Pablo Picasso. Ultra Modern, abstract, and complex, my teacher once mocked me that you will be the next Picasso of India.She was rude..I didnt like that joke)
Today, I am riding on the messeges sent by Gods of Technology, as if I am from other galaxy, or an Almighty, but innocence is what I want. Those were the best days of my life…Sweet and innocent. Free from complexities of all this world..Todays kids arent so lucky..They have got everything, but the charm of a naive and raw life is unknown to them..Today we have got Orkut, Facebook, Myspace, theres even one online virtual site, but that beautiful handwritten slambook remains an eluded teen age dream…nostologia peheps..
cia is discussing. Toggle Comments
I pay tributes to Feild Marshal Sam Manekshaw. A true soldier, a brave son of India, you have got no parallel. You will be remembered for several generations. Sam Bahadur, we are proud of you. History and Future will always respect you for your valour. I wonder what the Indian cricket team might be thinking when they beat Bangladesh (former East Pakistan) at Karachi, Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2008. Except for MS Dhoni, most of the players are nuts…least they should remember that this victory comes due to the valient efforts of some brave men, one of them being Sam Bahadur..Bangladesh owes this man a lot.
मी आसाच आहे……
झुंजोनी अवाघ्यांसी मारावे…
मारिता मारिता घ्यावे राज्य आपुले…
देव मस्तकी धरावा,
अवघा हल्लकल्लोळ करावा..
I call myself a Peaceful Warrior… because the battles I fight are on the inside..
All Karmas proceed with the force to either remove pain or gain pleasure
Experiencing pleasure and pain, we roam the streets of Samsara
Where there is Birth, there will be certain pain
There is certain Death, and nothing to gain
Not knowing light from darkness we roam the streets of misery
In beauty there is ugliness
In ugliness I see beauty too
What a repulsive body that I have which oozes grime and filth
These carnal desires do I find unfulfilling
Where there is Birth, there will be certain pain
There is certain Death, and nothing to gain
Sadashiva Samarambham Shankaracharya Madhyamam
Asmadacharya Paryantam Vande Guru Paramparam
सदाशिवा समारंभम् शंकराचार्य माध्यमं
आसमादचर्यां पारयनतम् वन्दे गुरू परंपरामं
Finally the Truth is seen
Unknowable once to me but now known to me
What an error it is to take myself to be what I am not
No words can reveal me
Yet words alone set me free
The beatitude revealed through desciplic succession
No delusion for me
I am the ever free
No illusion for me
I am the ever free
Finally, the desires are Ash, I smear those ashes on my forehead and I free myself. Bhasma on my body..Bhasma on my soul..I am liberated….the Pain turns to Love….a new hope..Maya reveals her true form…
Maya is inevitable…
I submit myself to Maya..
Maya has set me free…
The revelations are known…
May there be peace..
Every time u call i freeze
When your close to me i feel a chilly breeze
I know something is not right
Could u b the one making me feel so tight
I didn’t use to like u
But now could it b true..
Am i falling in love with u?
So innocent, so sweet and surreal
Casting a swirling aura around us
Turquoise eyes drowning and drenched
Within the angelic love song
The hearts had met to one mystic soul
Wanted to feel this forever and ever
Never to cease and fade, never to wane
My love I always felt , would always
Last till the end of the time.
I agree that this short peom isent mine, I take no credits for it. I dont know who’s written it, but what matters is that its an apt example of whats going through my mind..Normally I dont speak mushy, but now I am letting it out in public.
Honey, listen to me, you may never know or understand it, but if you read this, I confess that I loved you more then anything else. True we may never meet, but if I could show you what true love was, then its this….My words are turning empty, but the feelings arent…Dear God, if you get time from you daily chores, can you please listen up a prayer I sent for her? Keep her happy. Just keep her happy, I know what pain is like, but I wish she remains happy. She retaught me the purpose of life.Those beautiful moments she passed with me make me feel heaven. I have no complaints with what happened, nor I care a damn about whats gonna take place, but the fact is, I am in deep love, I am rediscovering myself in a form previously unknown to me..
Gosh, these feelings….let the rain come down and wash away my tears, let it shatter the walls and drown my fears..I feel as if I had been kissed by an angel of Love..A new day …has come…..
To all those boozing hounds and enemies of Love and haters of God, non believers in Love – This post is not meant for you. Not at all for you. If you are the pathetic and immature souls whose concepts are fake as that of Maya, get a life..shoo away, you get it, just fly away..hide yourself into deepest dark oceans or infinite space..Go….!!!!
Disclaimer While the people I write about are real, the experiences I post here may or may not be real and related to people I know. Its just my thoughts I have spoken to myself. If anyone of you finds a co-incidence, then rejoice…maybe I have taken some inspiration from you..And honestly, I do not hate anyone in life, even if you have managed to break my heart, you know that I am a brave soul 😉 Maybe 10 years from now I look back and say – O boy, I was so mad, crazy at times, I dont know. We are all strong and weak at times. So dont mind anything, just read, enjoy and move on with life
This heartbreak hangover has continued for fairly long time, I mean its more then a week I havent been able to pick my spirits up. In one point of view, everything appears as a dead end, especially in this fast globalized ultramodern age, with so much technology and gadgets around, who would bother to wait and listen? Its such a fast paced world. Friendship made and broken in seconds, split seconds without batting an eyelid, On the other hand, the mind, the frenziness of emotions and feelings tell an otherwise story. Whom to really care for? Inspite of technology, the communication and understanding gap still prevails between people. This comes to notice specifically when one apologizes to a girl by making use of email/sms/chat combo. Even a guy advised me to meet her and sort it out. Boy, I had that courage and might, then probably I wouldent even have these bad feelings get into my way. This is Karma, we attach our emotions with so many people really without knowing the consequence of what will happen in future. Some blokes I know are pretty calculated individuals, they do not allow emotions to get in their way, call it a professional approach of sort.
This incident taught me many things.
1. No matter how much rich your dad is, a gurl will first look at you and your capabilities. Atleast the one who analyses you for a long time dosent get impressed by the prizes you won, she looks at the job and the yearly package. No other impression ever works.. 😦
2. Surrounded by technology, we might get a feel of being a technocrat or whatever, but primitive feelings like emotions, rage, jealousy still exist. By no means we can avoid it. The forms and definations of ego might have changed, but it still continues to hurt as hell.
3. Love hurts. In every age Love hurts. It has hurted me a lot. I dont know if I am mature enough to understand its true meaning, but the seen consequence makes me wonder – I am freaky enough to be loved?I am an equally loved and hated guy, I remember most of those occasions when I was hated..
Gosh darn those status lines on my Gtalk – Love and Hate are one and all, sacrifice soon turns to revenge..
A girl may not find these lines romantic enough, especially when shes commited to someone else. She will take it as an ominous sign of flirting, and bang, thats the end of all relations..no amount of apologies work, meeting is impossible, no truce…no peace, direct attack…what else??
4. If you have been hurt before in relations, its wisdom to avoid complications in first place itself. If any jilted lover is reading this, I would advise – Avoid relations that do not exist. Example – A fragile relation that occured during a meeting over in social networking tools like MySpace, Orkut, FaceBook etc. These relations are never serious, they do not have any name, Modern pundits call it cyber relations, I dont have any good name for it. I mean its crazy concept to even think of attaching a name and emotions to a thing that exists in electronic world. Its true that sentimental fools like me are fond of attaching their feelings to the most ridiculous and insignificant things that exist in this world, its difficult at times. Here, every occasional hi, hello is a symbol of friendship, and every relation is apparantly a permanant one. Madness in all respect….I am a mad person who has got a provan track record of being in madly with love with girls I know I would never get to see, to touch, to talk and so on…This is my flaw, and I seriously need to get over it. My ex girl friend said that she avoided me because I did not had a ‘pure’ friendship with her. If I know that saying hello to her in wee hours of morning can spell as disaster I am suffering from, I would have avoided it. I am going to avoid it all togather throughout my life. Never send a girl an sms that can spoil your party. Controversies are never comfortable…
5. Even if sacrifice may turn to revenge, you may not see the face who would say ‘I love you, I will kill you, but I will love you forever’ (Sobs…Sobs…..Tears…Sniff) I didnt 😦 Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…….
I will update this if my girl replies back to me, else think this as the end of this post (and my spoilt relation as well ) Hey Girl, dont mind, I will still continue loving you..Pure love knows no limits 😦 (Sic..Snifff…)
I am in love, inspite of the fact that I am not going to reach anywhere closer. Strange word this Love, one of the most primitive feelings yet the strongest one with no parallel. I know its crazy to fall in love with someone you have never seen, just occasionally heard and met only through Instant Messaging. Is this relation called cyber love? Whatever…
Even if its a cyber or virtual love, I wont deny, my feelings are as strong as ever…Love hurts, when the girl you are after seeks someone else, Love definately hurts…but falling for her is a crazy concept in all aspects, God knows why I have affinity to fall for someone elses girl….3 times it has happened. 1st time – I didnt had courage to speak up, the 2nd instance – she was married (she was my teacher..!!) and now, this 3rd time – Shes committed already, and poor me, is bruised yet again for absolutely no reasons..once again I experience the sadeness…
The only memories for a jilted cyber romancer like me is to occasionally go through the IM chat history desperately trying to capture those wonderful moments or to go through the sms she sent me…Boy, I have gone crazy, crazy as ever….
Monday, 16 Jun 08
Actually I am feeling much better now. I think a blog post helped me more then half a dozen anti depressant pills and couple of beers. So, moral of the story – The Zen Hindu Brahminism advices to write a blog each time you succeed, each time you fail, each time you are happy, each time you are sade. Posting or writting helps to unpersonify dukkha..
Its 41 degrees celsius here @ Pune and its a difficult scenario at work places esp in this hot weather when the heat is taking its toll….Its hard to imagine that Pune, once known for its mild weather is boiling at high temperatures…!
Global warming, what else…???
BCCI has launched their very own Indian Professional League* Twenty-20 concept, and after watching the live bash on Sony Max, gosh, its clear that BCCI sux big time…!!!! Its a horrific mixture of unhandelable glamour…!
BTW, is this thing Cricket 2.0 ?
*Sorry, its Indian Premier League..
Chinese government is crushing the freedom of Tibetians and there are chances that more Tibetians are suffering from Chinese atrocities. I support the Tibetians in their quest for Freedom.
Let there be a free Tibet..
According to Wall Street Journal, this is the 10th year since the first blog came to life..thats quite an incredible fact.
Blogging has got several advantages
1. It allows people to create web content that people can read and comment on
2. It also made use of RSS (web site syndication), and also introduced several new concepts like podcasting, content management, social networks, news feeds etc.
3. Arguably, one can say that true digital democracy exists today primarily due to blogs people read and people write. Infact there have been several instances where there were heated discussions of bloggers being ‘failed’ journalist, but anyway, todays bloggers have got far more awareness as far as content quality is concerned.
4. Blogging forms the first successful step in Web 2.0 revolution.
Lets know something more about the blokes who began this revolution.
1. Dave Winer, 52, pioneered the development of weblogs, syndication (RSS), podcasting, outlining, and web content management software; former contributing editor at Wired Magazine, research fellow at Harvard Law School, entrepreneur, and investor in web media companies. A native New Yorker, he received a Master’s in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin, a Bachelor’s in Mathematics from Tulane University and currently lives in Berkeley, California.
(From scripting.com, quite a good read, but dont worry if you fail to understand some of the post content)
2. Jorn Bargar is the father of the term ‘weblog’ which was actually a joint word of ‘Web Log’, when he began the first blog of internet history –The Robot Wisdom.
3.The next mentioning blog is BoingBoing. Boing Boing (originally bOING bOING) is a publishing entity, first established as a magazine, later becoming an award winning group blog.
4. Curiously, I find that a blog going by a title ‘icanhascheezburger‘ is always at the top of WordPress blogs most of the time, I am not too sure what this thing means, but its certain that people visit that blog more times then they visit mine…I rarely visit that blog, but the curious ones can try it out 😛
This is what the blog owner says
I Can Has Cheezburger is a site that gathers, organizes, tags, and captions what we hope is the most funny and slightly weird pictures of lolcats and lol* (other animals) from the Internet. We also receive user submissoins, and we caption some (tag = wemadesit!). Many of the earlier images on this site were found around the internet and forums (there are hundreds of forums where this meme has grown outside of its original context such as fark, fazed, vwforums, gpforums) — we attribute as much information as is available, however due to the nature of the internet, anonymity, the inability to locate the creators of a picture, and sourcing info our information may be incomplete, or flawed.
There are more interesting blogs and sites, I will continue adding here, but later…till then,
Appearances are deceiving. A meek looking and soft spoken individual turned out be an ace terrorist in the making, can one believe this fact easily? Nope..
Todays paper had a news that explored the 320 GB ‘terrorist’ hard disk. The detailed stats are,
1. The disk contained well over 12000 files,
2. 5000 e-mails,
3. Videos of Osama bin Laden(the head honcho of a well known terrorist firm)
4. Jehadi messages with phone numbers
5. Car bomb design !!!
Incredible, there was no mention of if illegal mp3 files, p0rn videos, pirated software was present, nor the computer brand or OS..Pondering over that, a new concept stuck my mind..Google and major search engines can impress people by marking terrorist sites as ‘Caution : This site contents are not meant for cultured and civilized people‘, this warning will prevent people from visiting those sites, as it is Google maintains a list of spam and malware web pages, it will add a more feature to its popular search engine..Watch this incredible image for more details
So, next time you want to befriend someone, please ask them for their hard disk for a detailed analysis, persistent storage sometimes can answer forbidden questions.
Theres a strange aura about Apple iPhone, theres so much to write about it, people outside America are madly waiting to lay their hands on this wonderful amalgamation between a Apple Macintosh + mobil phone + iPod + PDA + fragile design + hype.
How about winning this incredible device for free without answering freaky questions, without solving ridiculous puzzles, without stealing, or dropping dead? A comparatively new, lesser known web 2.0 review company-Rev2 is giving away iPhones for free, over here. Hard to believe, but theres no reason why one shouldent try to win this thing, after all, its the iPhone, the real iPhone we all non Americans, Asians have been waiting for.
Apple definately must be happy seeing the way iPhones were sold out however there were some reports of slow activation, delayed starts, non replacable SIM cards by AT&T, but thats all, apart from this there hasent been any major hassle of any sort.
Many people are curious to know when the Apple iPhone is to be launched in India/Asia, I think Apple should try coming here early, else this market will be captured by Treo, Nokia N series, Motorola, and Sony Erricson multemedia devices.
Umm…the future looks awesome, hope for some more goddy. Dont forget this cool site giving an Apple iPhone for free. Rev2.org indeed is having lots of guts, and mind you, theres no big sites thats offering this scheme as of now. Good luck.
From the past few days theIndian media is in all sorts of frenzy, displaying the news and reports telling that Indian government has instructed CERT India to ‘ban’ Orkut access primarily because,
1. Indian authorities believe that Orkut allowes creation of flame communities that pack enough ammunation to set cities on fire and a punch that hurts the fragile ego of icon worshippers.
2. Orkut is a place where loners waste their bandwidth hunting for girls, their personal details, a photograph or pieces of vital info.
3. Orkuts a facinating place where you can abuse anyone, yes anyone, ranging from George Dubya Bush to the local administration without the fear of getting in line of fire. Although too much abusing or ranting can lead to your profile or community being marked as fake. But why bother , you can create plenty of fake accounts.
4. Orkut is also a place where one can secretly plan their next rave party without the cops noticing it.
Actually, I am not sure that this is what the government or authorities think of, but these all activites are being carried out on Orkut. No doubt about it. And I also know that the democratic government of India will try as little as possible to ‘ban’ it, afterall, the govt has so many daunting tasks ahead of them, be it the election of new president after Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, the Chinese theat claims over Arunachal Pradesh, the rising value of ruppee against the US dollor(Huh, isent this thing funny? The rise of ruppee against dollor is extremely conducive to the booming Indian economy, but is a warning bell for the cheap service industry that is the home of US BPOs etc. Strange ways of economy. What to lose and what to keep?)
On top of it, people get mad each time they discover that Orkut is being misused by sadistic outfits for achieving their targets. Orkut certainly gives a nice facility to create various groups and read a wide audience, but is it vitally necessary to get involved in Orkut to a level where we find it difficult to communication without the digital network? I mean the analog social network, the real one is much more good option.
Some reasons for Orkuts wide misuse
1. It allows creation of fake profiles and hate communities. Although theres provision for reporting it as bogus, the procedure isent foolproof. It can work either ways. Using this facility, someone can report a persons profile as bogus, even though that individual may be posting the truth. Who is to decide that the validity and quality of contents posted are in interest of community or no? Tough job, AI hasent reached this height as of now.
2. People have to learn to exist in digital world. Even if the digital world is limited to a few dark servers placed on unknown datacenters, the impact they cause on real lifes can be damaging. It cannot be blamed on any digital network. People carry their personality, their good, bad attributes, imperfections, ideologies where ever they go. When this happens, usually theres trouble, leading to unstability.
Inspite of everything, Orkut wont be ‘banned’, no one except the Chinese govt has the courage to ‘ban’ Google, but I still think that Orkut needs to be ‘blocked’ in offices, corporations, at place of work, school, colleges, government sections, public places etc. Doing this will be more feasible. Majority of well known companies block access to Orkut site, the reason is very simple – Dont want to distract the employees attention from work, and dont want to get into any legal trouble because of any employees miscreant activies.
In schools and colleges, we go to study and not surf the web. Its common sense. We dont want to expose students to ill effects of bad company.
So, that leaves us to homes. Yes, at home, we are free to do anything. Access Orkut from your home.
Moral of the story – Orkut cannot be ‘banned’ in India but it certainly can be ‘blocked’ by using proxy servers. Any digital social network can be a great tool to explore the world around us, but till the time we dont find a common unified way of understanding the ‘real’ world, we might face these problems forever.
And as usual, as far as I am concerned, I personally feel that there are lot of other problems in this world that need a top priority attention example – Global Warming, Rise of terrorist outfits etc. It makes little sense to quarrel and argue over a damm freaky Orkut.
Shyam is discussing. Toggle Comments
Finally its there. The ‘Unwiring Pune’ project has kicked off.. This new wirefree access utilizes WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) and Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) technologies to equip Pune with high-speed wireless internet. Wireless connectivity will allow people to access the Internet through a laptop or personal digital assistant (PDA), sans the need for cables. WiMAX is claimed to be the most cost-efficient way of building wireless data networks and a means to link people over large distances for “last mile” connectivity and bridging the digital divide. Taking a leap over Bangalore and Hyderabad, Pune will become the first Indian city to have a high-speed wireless Internet network even before the Centre’s much-awaited spectrum policy is announced. Initially Pune did had a demo of wireless internet access on Walking Plaza, but today, this project has finally taken off in grand style. Streaming, broadband access and that too with ease and convinience is sure to rock Pune. Imagine the power of Broadband without the hassles of wires..
What more can I say? Its true that Pune was coming in news for all the wrong reasons(rave parties, orkut misuse etc), but now I think that this news makes one feel good….Similar kind of service is provided by the search engine giant Google in San Francisco. Now we are at par with the developed regions in some departments, if not all, but that shouldent stop us from being happy..
Q. What is WiMAX?
A. WiMAX (World Interoperability for Microwave Access), based on the IEEE 802.16 standard, is expected to enable true broadband speeds over wireless networks at a cost point to enable mass market adoption. WiMAX is the only wireless standard today that has the ability to deliver true broadband speeds and help make the vision of pervasive connectivity a reality.
There are two main applications of WiMAX today: fixed WiMAX applications are point-to-multipoint enabling broadband access to homes and businesses, whereas mobile WiMAX offers the full mobility of cellular networks at true broadband speeds. Both fixed and mobile applications of WiMAX are engineered to help deliver ubiquitous, high-throughput broadband wireless services at a low cost.
Intel currently plans to integrate WiMAX and WiFi into its notebook platforms based on Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technologies. Pairing the two will help bring users the ultimate in high-speed mobile broadband. Intel believes that WiMAX, with its technical and economic advantages, should help enable mainstream adoption of personal broadband.
Moral of the story – Get a laptop having Intel Centrino Mobile Technology.. 😀
Update : 23 April 2008 – No further development and this project seems to have lost momentum
On 18 March 2007 (the day after Pakistan’s unexpected defeat to Ireland) Bob Woolmer was found unconscious in his hotel room in Kingston, Jamaica. He was taken to the nearby University Hospital but it was later confirmed that he had died.
It was a bizzaire news for the most, but there are some very secret motives hidden deep into the dark side of the moon. There are several speculations that point towards the match fixing bookies, but a very interesting theory has come to light.
Could the US secret agencies like FBI or CIA behind this? Or is it the job of Pakistani Secret Service, the ISI done for giving Mussharaf a cue – Your time is up..?Or is it the job of international mafia bookies whose match fixing tricks are destroying the spirit of cricket?
One thing is sure – The US now has realized that Mussharaf is unable to control the fanatic terrorist groups within his state. This is particularly dangerous for US troops lying stagnant in neighbouring Afghanistan, where the Taliban and Al Kaida are preparing to make a comeback, not fully though. Dubya Bush cannot afford to suffer loss due to troubled situations in Iraq and Afghanistan. On top of it, there is a deep discontent among top Pakistani military administration and the common public, esp the world saw the raging civilians marching against the recent removal of Supreme Court Judge.
Whatever it may be..things are getting murkier as the time progresses..Indian needs to keep a watchful eye on these developments that take place. Another fanatic leader taking over Pakistan is gonna create trouble for India.
An update March 24 12:29 IST
Its now confirmed by the Jamaica Police that Bob Woolmer was murdered “due to asphyxia as a result of manual strangulation.
The Jamaica Police has conducted a DNA test on Pakistani team and there is a strong chance of someone wrongdoing the South African for fear of getting exposed in match fixing scandal.
Meanwhile, in India, Bob Woolmer is getting the media attention much more then what he used to get when he was alive..Watching the news channels for the day, I believe that conspiracy surround Woolmers muder is more important then any national issue. Now for rest of week, the news sleuths will be behind every detail occuring in Jamaica, and the media hype will be at its peak and we will get atmost bizzaire theories from the immature Indian TV channels. Pathetic dogs..
According to some newsmakers example IBN-7, Inzamam is the prime culprit, while some(TIMES NOW, NDTV) are suspecting Danish Kaneria(the sole hindu player in pakistani team) for his passiveness in this case. Its funky to watch the half baked speculations that media makes..Whatever that might take… Match fixing cartels and mafias now rule the game along with the new underground bosses – the sponsers, who are sure to suffer huge revenues if India gets out of the competition cheaply..Afterall, not everyday one can invest million dollors and get nothing in return..
Meanwhile, in other developments, the Indian team is yet again on slump of getting outbursted..with scores reading something as 43-2. I am not gonna stay awake for idiots like them. If they win, its good, if they dont, I will be happy..
5 reasons for avoiding satellite TV services in India esp Dish TV
1. Dish TV is a utter crap service handled by a couple of jerks. Their STB’s (set top boxes) are manufactured in China and are of very inferior quality. One of our boxes has gone on a ride
2. Their service is very bad. I dont know any other company which dosent provide TV services even after paying the alloted rent.
3. The dealer and the company have got different opinion about the schemes and number of channel subscription.
4. The movies on demand are of utter crap quality. They are mostly unwatched B or C grade Hindi movies which were thrown out of theaters in the 1 week itself.
5. The customer care is handled by half paid blokes. One of them asked me to do a MASTER RESET and discovered that there is a ‘problem’ in their STB. Whoa….Its like formatting the disk and trying to find the stored data in there…and then saying ‘Oh, there might be a lil’ bug’.
One positive thing about Dish TV is that free-to-air channels can be viewed on the STB, even if monthly rent isent paid on time(this can change soon). However, I dont need to clarify about the media quality of free-to-air channels. Its unspeakable.
I think the TRAI has lost a chance to earn more bribe by leaving out the TV section. Pathetic dogs.
Tired of getting friend requests from MySpace, TagWorld, Friendster, TypePad, Skype, AIM, Yahoo!, Chia Friend, LinkedIn, MSN, TextAmerica, Upcoming, Digg, Google, 30 Boxes, Second Life, Plaxo, Zooomr, ICQ, Flickr, LiveJournal, Dogster, dodgeball, Backwash, BuddyBridge, FriendFan, Classmates, Buzznet, ReferNet… not to mention Friend Surfer, friendsand, Friends of Friends, friendsbay.de, Friends of Friends, Friends Reunited, Friendoo, Friendset, Friendsync, Friendity, Friendzy… and a million others… Tyrone J. Walrustitty put the following text on his Geocities homepage:
Dear “Friend,” I don’t want to join [insert Web site name here]. I hate social networks. Hate ‘em! I’m tired of you sending these damn invitations to me. If you do it again, I’m going to stop being your friend – because inviting me to yet another social network that doesn’t interest me simply isn’t a very friendly thing to do. If I’m already on the social networks that you’re already on, I have no problem in connecting with you there. As it stands, however, my tolerance for social networks is turning me anti-social. If I add one more social network to my social network network, I’m truly going to go social on yo’ ass.
Based on this simple idea, Tyrone launched Hermitster, raised $8.2 billion in funding, and sold the property to Rupert Murderock for well over a trillion dollars.
Umm…after observing the bad effects of tools like Orkut, Myspace, Ryze(Does it exist ?), I guess its time now to quit the ‘digital’ social networking tools…
Image Coutesy – BLAUGH, the (un)official comic of blogosphere.
According to media reports, the Pune police is in full swing to ban Orkut, the Google owned digital social networking tool following its controversial communities and its probable role in anti social activities.
To a certain extent, I feel that there is a ‘real’ need in maintaining Orkut. Given its liberal policies, a madman can create real mess on Orkut by creating hate topics, insultive discussions and also spoil images of well known personalities. Its sort of a free ground for cheap and unconstructive publicity. And after the recent blasts, things are turning pretty hot.
But is banning a solution to this problem?
Nope. Given Googles brand influence, I dont think it will be practically possible. Even if the police dont succumb to the influence of any media, there still will be a wide disarray among the ‘anti-social’ elements in the society. Only China is the state which officially monitors Google content. So much so the my blog – The First Tones of Freedom cannot be viewed on any Chinese ISP, sole reason being the word – Freedom, I preach about the importance of Freedom and Liberty in life..
Anyway – A middle path should be adopted and Orkut should make use of a better ‘Report as Bogus’ system. I mean its ridiculous the way things are handled as of now. Things will be clear in a few days.
The ultimate guide to learn the secret of remaining eternal young, maintain health and manage wealth.
Did you ever analyse the TV ads that are shown everytime between programs? Almost 80% of them are dedicated towards beauty products. Products that claim to keep you young and fair forever. Let me tell you a secret. To feel young, to stay healty, you do not compulsarily need to use those products for a lifetime. Your kitchen can solve a number of health problems then you can ever imagine…
Welcome to the indispensible guide that will help you to stay younger, healthy and disease free for the rest of your life.
No matter where we are, all round the globe, people are facing some very common health problems in form of untimely aging, dry skin problems, heart problems, etc. Its true that number of alopathic or synthetic medicines can help to keep these problems at bay for some time, but ultimately, if we resort to some simple methods, we can help to prevent disasaters. It aint magic. Its the power of simple foodstuffs that are gifted to us by Mother Nature. I am listing some of them, but please be sure – There are more number of simple things that I can write or you can read. Lets begin.
1. Oysters – Oysters contain vitamins B3, B12 which helps in enhancing memory and preventing further disorders in the form of epilepsy and related problems. They are also a very valuable source of edible zinc, which is very useful in fighting common diseases, maintaining a youthful skin(as seen in the ads. Good enough to make your neighbour envious) and importantly, prevents hair loss. Also, Oysters provide plenty of vitamin E, which is used as a preventer of heart disorders and maintains a supple skin.
2. Eggs – Chicken Egg is a complete protein rich food containing all the 8 vital amino acids, which are extemely useful in building body and its muscles.
3. Parsley – It is one of the richest source of mineral potassium, which enhances the kidney function and helps to eliminate poisonous wastes from the body. This inturn helps to reduce blood pressure. Remember – if you are the one who is suffering from high blood pressure with no case history in family, then alongwith reducing stress, please switch to parsley. It will not only help you to save the expensive health bills, but also will make you more happy and your food more tasty.
4. Ginger – This simple spice from India helps to digest food, add taste to it and prevent problems like sore throat, common cold and absorb blood sugars. Add it to a cup of herbal tea and you will get one of the best anti onxident drinks you can ever have. Very useful in cold and dark climates.
5. Grapes – They not only are used to makes some of worlds best wines, but are also a source of powerful antioxidents – like astringent tanins, flavones and anthocyanins. Grapes also help to prevent bad LDL cholesterol from oxidising and blood from clotting. It also helps to protect the heart and circulatory system.
4. Natural Honey – It comprises of 79% pure sugar, and 21% of water and vitamines. It is directly absorbed by the body and is also used as a ready source of energy. Besides, it contains vitamin B6. It also includes calcium, that makes for strong bones. Its smooth texture keeps skin healthy and glowing.Natural Honey is found in Mahabaleswar in Maharashtra, India.
5. Olive oil – Ancient Greeks thought of Olives as a gift from Gods. It contains vitamin E and helps to keep skin wrinkle free. It is also rich in mono-unsaturated fats, believed to have anti-carcinogeneic properties, and prevents bloodsugar from risisng.
6. Lemon – The yellow skinned, tangy flavoured lemon is the best source of natural Vitamin C. It helps to prevent gum problems and provides healthy skin. It is also a natural source of bio flavonoids such as quercetin, which boosts the effect of vitamin C, which is used for healthy blood vessels, and helps to prevent varicose veins.
A recepie for a health drinkmade from lemon
A whole yellow skinned lemon, 1 litre of fesh water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon salt.
1. Peel the yellow skin and cut the lemon in half.
2. Remove the small seeds and add the cut lemon to the juicer.
3. Extract all the juice from the lemon and keep it aside as a base.
4. Now take 3 teaspoons of the fresh base and add it to a glass of water. Add sugar and salt according to taste. Continue to stir it till all sugar dissolves.
5. Serve chilled in summar and warm in winter. If you like – add a little soda to it and creat your own home made coldrink.
This drink rejunavates the body and refreshes you.
Finally I would like to say – Apart from these simple foods, learn a way to prevent stress. Learn Yoga, meditation, be good to the rest of your society and learn to thank the almighty God for all the good things he has provided to mankind. Dont blame God for the bad things in life, simply because, its we the mortal men who misuse his kindness. This is the teaching of the Zen Hindu Brahminism.
Today is Orkuts 3rd birthday.
Orkut was quietly launched on January 30, 2004 by Google, the search engine company. Orkut Büyükkökten, a Turkish software engineer, developed it as an independent project while working at Google (required by its policy). Some discomfort with this exists among users and potential users of orkut, especially since Google’s other noteworthy product of 2004, the Web-based email client Gmail, had servers scan emails for keywords in order to deliver advertisements targeted at them, which sparked an idea that Google was “reading your email”.
While previously working for Affinity Engines, he had developed a similar system, InCircle, intended for use by university alumni groups. In late June 2004, Affinity Engines filed suit against Google, claiming that Büyükkökten and Google based orkut on inCircle code. The allegation is based on the presence of 9 identical bugs in orkut that also exist in InCircle. Originally, the orkut community was felt to be elite, because its membership is by invitation only. However, at the end of July 2004 orkut surpassed the 1,000,000 member mark, and at the end of September it surpassed the 2,000,000 mark.
While the intended invitation method was e-mail between two acquaintances, invitations to orkut are obtainable via the web with a bit of diligence or eBay, just like Gmail invites.
Orkut’s use as a social tool is complex, because various people frequently try to add strangers to their own pool of friends, more often than not just to increase the number indicating their number of friends next to their name in their profile. Many “add-me” communities exist, solely for this purpose. A large number of bogus, cloned, fake, invisible and “orphaned” profiles also exist.
As of today; there are 41,282,563 users on orkut.
Speed and reliability
Orkut often is unavailable, producing a “Bad, bad server. ” error message — behavior consistent with that of an underpowered server under heavy load. The outages tend to occur during the day hours in the Americas, home of more than 80% of orkut users.
Orkut was very popular in Iran, but the website is blocked by the government. As they say, this is due to national security issues, as orkut users have the ability to spread messages rapidly, but the government says it’s due to Islamic ethical issues about dating and match making. To get around this block, sites such as “orkutproxy.xom” (now defunct) were made for Iranian users. Other websites such as Groups likw Yahoo, Google have communities dedicated to receiving updates on the newest location of Iran’s orkut proxy. Though it was once possible to bypass governmental blockage of orkut, the site has closed its HTTPS pages on all anonymous proxies. Now it is almost impossible for ordinary users to visit this site inside Iran.
In August 2006 UAE followed the footsteps of Iran in blocking the site.
Demographics of orkut
The latest information can be obtained from here.
Some prominent controversies faced by Orkut in these 3 years.
1. Recently an Indian girl had filed a complaint against a boy who put up her fake profile along with abuses and profanities. But now its gone a step above a notice was issued by the Aurangabad bench of the Bombay High Court to Google’s social networking site Orkut, for spreading “hatred against India.” The Court responded to a public interest litigation (PIL) that took exception to a “We hate India’ community in Orkut. The community, set up by a *Russian, Miraslov Stankovic, states that it is against all those people who are against Pakistan. The community is about having a group of people who have enmity against India because of its oppressive and hostile approach, it says in the description of the community. The number of members of the community as on Thursday was 91, down from 100 the previous day.
2. A case has been filed against ‘Orkut’ website at Pune for deplorable denigration of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Lord Rama. An assurance was given by the police to investigate the matter. The case has been filed under article 67 of Information Technology Act and article 505 of Indian Penal Code.
Actually, whatever may be the problems, its certain now that social networking groups have a long way to go. Lets wish Orkut a happy birthday and hope that it maintains a clean environment.
A very popular story about Orkut Büyükkökten is circulated on Orkut social networking site through mails and scraps. Its something like the follows
A guy lost his girlfriend in a train accident,but the gal’s name nowhere appeared in the dead list. This guy grew up n became IT technical architect in his late 20?s, achievement in itself!!He hired developers from the whole globe and plan to make a software where he could search for his gf through the web.Things went as planned n he found her, after losing millions of dollars and 3 long years!!
It was time to shut down the search operation, when the CEO of Google had a word with this guy n took over this application.This Software made a whopping 1 billion dollars profit in its first year,which we today know as ORKUT.
The guy’s name is ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN.Yes its named after him only.Today he is paid a hefty sum by Google for the things we do like scrapping.He is expected to b the richest person by 2009.ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN today has 13 assistants to monitor his scrapbook & 8 to monitor his friends-list. He gets around 20,000 friend-requests a day & about 85,000 scraps!!!
Some more cool facts about him
He gets $12 from Google when every person registers to this website.
- He also gets $10 when you add somebody as a friend.
- He gets $8 when your friend’s friend adds you as a friend & gets $6 if
anybody adds you as friend in the resulting chain.
- He gets $5 when you scrap somebody & $4 when somebody scraps you.
- He also gets $200 for each photograph you upload on Orkut.
- He gets $2.5 when you add your friend in the crush-list or in the hot-list.
- He gets $2 when you become somebody’s fan.
- He gets $1.5 when somebody else becomes your fan.
- He even gets $1 every time you logout of Orkut.
- He gets $0.5 every time you just change your profile-photograph.
- He also gets $0.5 every time you read your friend’s scrap-book & $0.5 every time
you view your friend’s friend-list.
“Moral of the story”?
LOSE U R GIRLFRIEND AND MAKE BILLIONS !!!!
I dont know if its real or unreal, its very much of a bollywood type thing. Who knows?? 😛
Here is a list of Orkut Büyükkökten s research papers
- Exploiting Geographical Location Information of Web Pages
- Focused Web Searching with PDAs
- Power Browser: Efficient Web Browsing for PDAs
- Efficient Query Subscription Processing in a Multicast Environment
- Research paper: Accordion Summarization for End-Game Browsing on PDAs and Cellular Phones
- Efficient Web Form Entry on PDAs
- Seeing the Whole in Parts: Text Summarization for Web Browsing on Handheld Devices
- Power Email: Efficient Email Entry on Pen-Based Handheld Devices
Dont get sade if you are not able to make any sense out of any of this material. I tell ye – You are not alone.. 😛
- Not sure of origins. Information based on the profile.
Pranay, Ishmail, John, and 1 other are discussing. Toggle Comments
Political movements in certain parts of the world openly expound racist ideas. The dissemination of racist ideas is tolerated in the name of freedom of expression. The Internet is misused to propagate racial hatred. Globalization, which has so much potential to spread prosperity, can also result in economic disparity, cultural homogenization and marginalization of certain countries. We must ensure that globalization contributes to the overall well-being of all people in the world while at the same time respecting the uniqueness of different cultures and traditions.
In any progressive country, tolerance and compassion are core values in society. There should be a development philosophy of “Gross National Happiness” where the individual well-being is the focus of all development initiatives.
Humanity can only make headway if it acknowledges and draws on lessons from the evils of the past, in particular slavery, the slave trade and colonialism. We must acknowledge those crimes, not to twist the knife in the wound, but to better acknowledge that their lethal germs still persist. We are not here to humiliate anyone, but humanity can only take a decisive step forward if the whole truth of history is brought to light. If we want to overcome racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, we must restore the truth regarding the history of people who today find themselves on the bottom of the pile. We are not thinking about any kind of vengeance. Reconciliation not only asks for forgiveness, but also for repentance, sincere repentance. Sincere repentance must be active repentance. The international struggle against racism and racial discrimination requires a sensitive approach. Each voice in the international community must have a say. Debate must be promoted and a universal solution must be found out in peace and harmony.
Gosh..Its my blogs 1st birthday today. Happy birthday little blog. 😛
‘Pathetic and Weak‘ , ‘Intellectually Crap‘ – probably this is what a civilized society will say about (un)Reality TV based shows like Bigg Boss in India and Bigg Brother in UK.
The so called reality in these shows promote *racism(Shilpa Shetty incident in UK), and often misguide the common public.(Bigg Boss in India) At least in Indian where many people glorify icons, this situation is certainly not favourable. Let me make it clear that none of the contestants of Bigg Boss are icons nor they deserve any public support. They are just strugglers dying to make some money out of the utter crap they present on the TV. Most of them have their careers slumped and it feels so disgraceful when the quality of TV shows is dropping to such a low level, man can it get some more worse then this?? Just for the sake of increasinf the viewer base or channel TRP, these blokes are ready to potray anything unuseful on the idiot box screen.
Arrgh..someone needs to setup a few mandatory standards for the quality of TV shows all round the world, so that the general public interest is not harmed.
No matter how much technology changes, no matter how sharp the picture and sound quality is superior, the idiot box is still considered to be a crap for its the lack of quality TV media.Its nothing but like creating a rift between various parts of the society. The idiot box has become more idiot and seemingly more dangerous..
*Consistant use of racial comments can lead to the dawn of a new Hitler who will be more armed, more dangerous, more ambitious, more intelligent, more perfect then the previous one.
Actually, in this age of globalization, such issues need not arise, but who cares..
Apple iPhone is todays equivalent example of Sony Walkman of yesterday. Theres no path breaking features that it offers, but apparantly, its PDA and smartphone capabilities(alongwith very good marketting) can help Apple to reach a wide customer base and also it will give comman non technical consumers the chance to learn the Apple way of design and operation. As it is many people just drool over the lean mean Mac, its time to have one in pocket and let the world drool. I would personally take it as a PDA device with the capacities of the Mac OS. Now-a-days many PDA have a crossover as a mobile device and a PDA or a portable handheld. It would have been much better had Mr Jobs introduced it as a iPod+PDA and not a smartphone+PDA..
As far as Indian market is concerned, I think that people will literally do anything to get this fabulous PDA. Reasons of it not used as a smartphone are
1. India dosent have an EDGE capable network as of 11 jan 07.(If theres any, please market yourself more guys. I think former BPL had this, but not clear about it) GPRS is present, but the operators charge it like hell, and a its an example of a paradox that BSNL broadband is much cheaper and affordable then the GPRS provided by blokes like Airtel, Hutch, !dea and the CDMA players like Reliance and Tata Indicom.
2. 3G is absent. My motorazr can take a 2.5G and 3G, but as of now, I dont think that any provider has this facility.
3. Nokia already dominates the hi-end market in India, but it never markets its any smartphone as a PDA. Nor does it offer any features as compared to the iPhone, although their N-series has got some serious multimedia features. Theres pretty tough competition for survival.
The asian market is full of varied diversities. Japan has got its own NTT DoCoMo, India has got WLL, CDMA, GSM, and all are incompaitable with each other. I hope that by the time iPhone reaches Asian market, the final picture will become much clear, and hopefully, the Apple iPhone will give Apple and consumers a great functionality.
Update on June 25, 2008.
Apple iPhone is to be launched in India by Vodafone. To book your iPhone in India, sms IPHONE to 56789. The price of iPhone is expected to be around 25000 + taxes. So get your savings out for this beauty.. 😉
Update on July 11, 2008.
Please check out this link which shows an Apple iPhone in India. According to it, IPhone will be officially available in September 2008.
Update on July 22, 2008.
Update on August 22, 2008
Rejoice, the Apple iPhone to cost Rs 31000/- for 8 GB model and Rs 36000/- for the 16 CG model. Add to it the absence of 3G in India. Enjoy.. 😉
Amidst controversies, this is a new video released which shows the former Iraqi controller, Saddam Hussain after execution on 30/12/2006. Those who dont want to view the video can read the detailed description on BBC page.
Actually, even if the post contents are bad/wrong or violent The lesson one can learn from this entire events is –
1. Power and monopoly are very dangerous things..Until you have them.
2. Nothing in life is permanant..including Power, but till we have power, theres nothing like it.Its unstoppable..
Warning – Can contain disturbing content. The First Tones of Freedom is not affiliated with any of the content providers.This is the first and last of violent contents on this blog..
This is the (unexhaustive) list of 100 things that most of us ignored or didnt notice in 2006.Depends
1. Pele has always hated his nickname, which he says sounds like “baby-talk in Portuguese”.
2. There are 200 million blogs which are no longer being updated, say technology analysts.
3. Urban birds have developed a short, fast “rap style” of singing, different from their rural counterparts.
4. Bristol is the least anti-social place in England, says the National Audit Office.
5. Standard-sized condoms are too big for most Indian men.
6. The late Alan “Fluff” Freeman, famous as a DJ, had trained as an opera singer.
7. The lion costume in the film Wizard of Oz was made from real lions.
8. There are 6.5 million sets of fingerprints on file in the UK.
9. Fathers tend to determine the height of their child, mothers their weight.
10. Panspermia is the idea that life on Earth originated on another planet.
11. An infestation of head lice is called pediculosis.
12. The Pope’s been known to wear red Prada shoes.
13. The fastest supercomputer in the UK can make 15.4 trillion calculations per second.
14. Online shoppers will only wait an average of four seconds for an internet page to load before giving up.
15. Donald Rumsfeld was both the youngest and the oldest defence secretary in US history.
16. Spending on Halloween has risen 10-fold – from £12m to £120m in the UK, in five years.
17. Coco Chanel started the trend for sun tans in 1923 when she got accidentally burnt on a cruise.
18. Up to 25% of hospital keyboards carry the MRSA infection.
19. The UK population grew at a rate of 500 per day last year as immigration out-stripped emigration.
20. Sex workers in Roman times charged the equivalent price of eight glasses of red wine.
21. English is now the only “traditional” academic subject in the top 10 most popular university courses.
22. The number of people committing suicide in the UK has fallen to its lowest recorded level.
23. More than one in eight people in the United States show signs of addiction to the internet, says a study.
24. One third of all the cod fished in the world is consumed in the UK.
25. In Kingston upon Thames, men on average live to be 78. In Kingston-upon-Hull it is 73.
26. Each person sends an average of 55 greetings cards per year.
27. Just one cow gives off enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 litre bottles.
28. More than 90% of plane crashes have survivors.
29. Tony Blair’s favourite meal to cook is spaghetti bolognaise.
30. The brain is soft and gelatinous – its consistency is something between jelly and cooked pasta.
31. The Mona Lisa used to hang on the wall of Napoleon’s bedroom.
32. Barbie’s full name is Barbie Millicent Roberts.
33. Eating a packet of crisps a day is equivalent to drinking five litres of cooking oil a year.
34. Plant seeds that have been stored for more than 200 years can be coaxed into new life.
35. There were no numbers in the very first UK phone directory, only names and addresses. Operators would connect callers.
36. The InterCity 125 train was designed by the same man who came up with the angle-poise lamp and Kenwood Chef mixer.
37. Pavements are tested using an 80 square metre artificial pavement at a research centre called Pamela (the Pedestrian Accessibility and Movement Environment Laboratory).
38. A common American poplar has twice as many genes as a human being.
39. The world’s fastest supercomputer will have its speed measured in “petaflops”, which represent 1,000 trillion calculations per second. More details
40. The medical name for the part of the brain associated with teenage sulking is “superior temporal sulcus”.
41. Some Royal Mail stamps, which of course carry the Queen’s image, are printed in Holland.
42. Helen Mirren was born Ilyena Lydia Mironov, the daughter of a Russian-born violinist with the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
43. There is only one cheddar cheese maker in Cheddar, even though cheddar is the most popular hard cheese in the English-speaking world.
44. For every 10 successful attempts to climb Mount Everest there is one fatality.
45. Cows can have regional accents, says a professor of phonetics, after studying cattle in Somerset
46. Involuntary bad language, a symptom affecting about one in 10 people with Tourette’s syndrome, is called “coprolalia”.
47. Watching television can act as a natural painkiller for children, say researchers from the University of Siena.
48. Allotment plots come in the standard measure of 10 poles – a pole is the length of the back of the plough to the nose of the ox.
49. When filming summer scenes in winter, actors suck on ice cubes just before the camera rolls – it cools their mouths so their breath doesn’t condense in the cold air.
50. There are 60 Acacia Avenues in the UK.
51. Gritters come out in hot weather too – to spread rock dust, which stops roads melting.
52. Forty-eight percent of the population is ex-directory.
53. Red Buttons – real name Aaron Chwatt – took his surname from the nickname for hotel porters, a job he did in his teens.
54. The CND symbol incorporates the semaphore letters for N and D for nuclear and disarmament.
55. While 53% of households have access to a garage, only 24% use them for parking cars.
56. Mortgage borrowing now accounts for 42% of take-home salary.
57. The word “time” is the most common noun in the English language, according to the latest Oxford dictionary.
58. Forty-one percent of English women have punched or kicked their partners, according to a study.
59. Dogs with harelips can end up with two noses.
60. The clitoris derives its name from the ancient Greek word kleitoris, meaning “little hill”.
61. A domestic cat can frighten a black bear to climb a tree.
62. Thirty-four percent of the UK has a surname that is ranked as “posher” than the Royal Family’s given name, Windsor.
63. The Downing St garden is actually a Royal Park.
64. Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobiacs is the term for people who fear the number 666.
65. The more panels a football has – and therefore the more seams – the easier it is to control in the air.
66. One in four smokers use roll-ups.
67. Music can help reduce chronic pain by more than 20% and can alleviate depression by up to 25%.
68. The egg came first.
69. Humans were first infected with the HIV virus in the 1930s.
70. Sir Paul McCartney is only the second richest music millionaire in the UK – Clive Calder, is top.
71. Publishers have coined the term “Brownsploitation” for the rash of books that have sprung up in the wake of Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code blockbuster.
72. Modern teenagers are better behaved than their counterparts of 20 years ago, showing “less problematic behaviour” involving sex, drugs and drink.
73. George Bush’s personal highlight of his presidency is catching a 7.5lb (3.4kg) perch.
74. Britain is still paying off debts that predate the Napoleonic wars because it’s cheaper to do so than buy back the bonds on which they are based.
75. Five billion apples are eaten a year in the UK.
76. In Bhutan government policy is based on Gross National Happiness; thus most street advertising is banned, as are tobacco and plastic bags.
77. Metal detector enthusiasts are referred to as “detectorists”; there are about 30,000 in the UK.
78. The Labour Party spent £299.63 on Star Trek outfits for the last election, while the Tories shelled out £1,269 to import groundhog costumes.
79. The best-value consumer purchase in terms of the price and usage is an electric kettle.
80. Camel’s milk, which is widely drunk in Arab countries, has 10 times more iron than cow’s milk.
81. Iceland has the highest concentration of broadband users in the world.
82. There are 2.5 million rodent-owning households in Britain, according to the Pet Food Manufacturers’ Association.
83. Rainfall on the roof and gutters of a three-bed detached house can amount to 120,000 litres each year.
84. Thinking about your muscles can make you stronger.
85. The age limit for marriage in France was, until recently, 15 for girls, but 18 for boys. The age for girls was raised to 18 in 2006.
86. Six million people use TV subtitles, despite having no hearing impairment.
87. Goths, those pasty-faced teenagers who revel in black clothing, are likely to become doctors, lawyers and architects.
88. Nelson Mandela used to steal pigs as a child.
89. There are an average of 4.4 sparrows in each British garden. In 1979, there were 10 per garden.
90. The Himalayas cover one-tenth of the Earth’s surface.
91. Lord Levy, recruited by Tony Blair to raise money for the Labour party, made his own fortune managing Alvin Stardust, among others.
92. In a fight between a polar bear and a lion, the polar bear would win.
93. If left alone, 70% of birthmarks gradually fade away.
94. There are two million cars and trucks in Brazil which run on alcohol.
95. US Secret Service sniffer dogs are put up in five-star hotels during overseas presidential visits.
96. Flushing a toilet costs, on average, 1.5p.
97. Tufty the road safety squirrel had a surname. It was Fluffytail.
98. A “lost world” exists in the Indonesian jungle that is home to dozens of hitherto unknown animal and plant species.
99. The term “misfeasance” means to carry out a legal act illegally.
100. In the 1960s, the CIA used to watch Mission Impossible to get ideas about spying.
All these above 100 things are captured by the BBC UK, and I found this when I was randomly surfing for nothing. Call it a waste of time or a worthy utilization of bandwidth..whatever. But thats not enough according to me as most of these things are UK oriented. Would love to hear some things that really I didnt know.