Happy Blogging – Blogging completes its first 10 years
According to Wall Street Journal, this is the 10th year since the first blog came to life..thats quite an incredible fact.
Blogging has got several advantages
1. It allows people to create web content that people can read and comment on
2. It also made use of RSS (web site syndication), and also introduced several new concepts like podcasting, content management, social networks, news feeds etc.
3. Arguably, one can say that true digital democracy exists today primarily due to blogs people read and people write. Infact there have been several instances where there were heated discussions of bloggers being ‘failed’ journalist, but anyway, todays bloggers have got far more awareness as far as content quality is concerned.
4. Blogging forms the first successful step in Web 2.0 revolution.
Lets know something more about the blokes who began this revolution.
1. Dave Winer, 52, pioneered the development of weblogs, syndication (RSS), podcasting, outlining, and web content management software; former contributing editor at Wired Magazine, research fellow at Harvard Law School, entrepreneur, and investor in web media companies. A native New Yorker, he received a Master’s in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin, a Bachelor’s in Mathematics from Tulane University and currently lives in Berkeley, California.
(From scripting.com, quite a good read, but dont worry if you fail to understand some of the post content)
2. Jorn Bargar is the father of the term ‘weblog’ which was actually a joint word of ‘Web Log’, when he began the first blog of internet history –The Robot Wisdom.
3.The next mentioning blog is BoingBoing. Boing Boing (originally bOING bOING) is a publishing entity, first established as a magazine, later becoming an award winning group blog.
4. Curiously, I find that a blog going by a title ‘icanhascheezburger‘ is always at the top of WordPress blogs most of the time, I am not too sure what this thing means, but its certain that people visit that blog more times then they visit mine…I rarely visit that blog, but the curious ones can try it out 😛
This is what the blog owner says
I Can Has Cheezburger is a site that gathers, organizes, tags, and captions what we hope is the most funny and slightly weird pictures of lolcats and lol* (other animals) from the Internet. We also receive user submissoins, and we caption some (tag = wemadesit!). Many of the earlier images on this site were found around the internet and forums (there are hundreds of forums where this meme has grown outside of its original context such as fark, fazed, vwforums, gpforums) — we attribute as much information as is available, however due to the nature of the internet, anonymity, the inability to locate the creators of a picture, and sourcing info our information may be incomplete, or flawed.
There are more interesting blogs and sites, I will continue adding here, but later…till then,