Google provided email ids to spammers – The reality behind the closed doors.
I got this mail a few hours ago.
i believe we are in the same boat.
this is in regard to the mail i received from deepta from google and i understand u folks too have got the same. this was on 25th of Jan. later on 26th of Jan, once again i received a mail with an attachment named Video_part.mim, which due to being infected by virus didn’t opened up.
have anyone of u folks got any further correspondence from the other end. and if so would u be kind enough to update me with whats going on.
please be sensible and do reply.
Normally,I would have ignored this mail, but it had a curious refrence. This mail was bcc’d (blind carbon copied) to almost 427 other recipients. These were the blokes who were interested in working for Google as an Adwords Representative(Whatever that means). Unfortunately for Google, one of these 427 recepients is a potential spammer, a script kiddie, who sent a malignant mail containing a virus attachment to some Satyendra Sheth , who inturn started speculating that Google(or someone similar) sent him a virus*..!!
And now, the funny part is that some guys are ‘bcc’ing their sentiments to the entire group of 427 people, thus causing a perfect situation creating chaos, misunderstanding and a mess, to be precise.
Now the reality
1. Google India hasent sent anyone a virus. The girl (deepta mathur) who sent the original mail, is a real person, who has graduated from Hyderabads ICFAI bussiness school in 2006. She does work at Google India as a Google recruiter.
2. Google India has not sent any spam or virus, but accidently, they have managed to provide the spammer(Dont know who it is) a good amount of valid email ids, thus making his life easy. Must a prankster kid, good for nothing.
3. Those who sent the CV that matched Googles expectations, actually got another mail that provided details for further interactions. No need to tell that it was all authentic. For Pune, Google had conducted one exam on 4th Fed 07 at Reliance Web World. Unfortunately I didnt make it.. 😦
What was the reason for this chaos?
1. The enigma maintained by Google India. Ever since the Google Wordmasters Challenge 2006, Google has managed to spoil its ‘goody boy’ image, thus creating a sense of apprehension amongst all the participants.
2. Even if they had sent a mail, Google provided no additional resources. No official telphone/email was provided. Lets face it. People are lazy to hunt for all the official resources. And is the get apprehensice, its difficult to gain the confidence back.
Moral of the story –
1. Ignore this matter as far as possible, use a good antivirus, maybe use Ubuntu Linux, dont spread rumours or dont get hanky panky about a minor issue.
2. The email list contained mail ids originating from biig companies likeWipro, TCS, IBM, Nilhent etc. It seems that everyone is interested in working for Google. Hey, provide your employees with better solutions, else they will leave you more fast.. 😛
If anyone has to speak or put up his/her own view, please make use of the comments section.
- – The virus is Worm.Win32.VB.b that spreads through email attachements. It affects all Windows OS, and its alias are Nyxem.D, Kama Sutra,W32.Blackmal.E@mm,CME-24 ,WORM